Sunday, January 4, 2009
Biodiesel: Turn Waste into Affordable Fuel
Most of us by now have seen "veggie mobiles" or "veggie buses"--diesel automobiles that either run off straight vegetable oil (SVO), waste vegetable oil (WVO) or bio-diesel. Championed by innovative green warriors, they have proven that with the right set up one can cruise the streets without ever paying money for petroleum based fuel.
So, if it works, why doesn't everyone do it?
BECAUSE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THIS OR DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START.
Here are some steps one can follow to getting going on SVO, WVO and Biodiesel
1. Meet your local bio-fuel makers (for Iowa City http://www.ybdc.org/info.htm)
2. Read on-line information (Steve from Yoderville Biodiesel Collective has a great list here http://www.ybdc.org/links.htm as well as www.greasecar.com).
3. Get on craigslist and search for a diesel deal in your area (www.craigslist.com)
4. Buy a diesel vehicle.
5. Make your own biodiesel -or- buy some biodiesel -or- filter and burn straight vegetable oil (only with some cars is SVO possible)
6. Share the word and enjoy the freedom